Saturday, July 10, 2010

Young Minds

Tonight, while babysitting, I read a book about stars to my young charges. It had all sorts of cool facts that I found quite interesting, and really cool pictures of space and stars, etc.

What was really cool, was that I showed the 6-year-old one of the pictues and pointed out where a supernova from 3,000 years ago still had light shining in space. This was confusing to him. He continued to ask me questions about space and stars and sky and anything else he could figure was related to the supernova still shining light after 3,000 years. But the first thing he wanted to know was how long 3,000 years was.

This conversation lasted quite a while and eventually led into talking about clouds, gravity, and the water cycle.

Some of the concepts he grasped, others, he did not, but he's got a curious mind that wants to know more and wants to know "why"...which I think is awesome. I've read other books to him before about sharks and water creatures, and we've talked about sea monster legends, and how big whales and squid can be! :)

I love watching young minds get curious about the world and ask questions, even if they don't totally get the answers right now...the fact is, they're hungry to learn, and I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...