Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Summer Project: Blurs

These last few days have been blurring together. I was talking to the other girl in my discipleship group tonight and I couldn't remember if today was our second or third day of work. We've only been here since Friday, and already I don't know what day it is!

So, for those of you who don't know what I'm doing in Colorado, I am working with Campus Crusade for Christ on something called a Summer Project in Fort Collins, CO. I'm working for Colorado Kids' Camp, a ministry of Crusade during the New Staff Training and Staff Conference that are happening this summer here in CO. Whew! There's a lot of names in that sentence. In a nutshell: I'm a camp counselor for Campus Crusade for Christ.

Here's a brief update of what we've been doing the last few days:

Monday ~
Our first day of work! We went through camp policies, and found out whether we'd be working in the "Camp" portion or the "Care" portion of the summer. I will be working with the Camp (1st - 6th grade) and we didn't have specific age assignments yet. We went to the other elementary school (where the Care portion takes place) and unloaded a huge semi-trailer full of boxes that had been in storage for two years. The weather did not want to cooperate with us, because it was so severe that we had to stay inside the building. Pouring rain, hail, thunder, lightning, and even a tornado warning all made moving things inside a difficult task for about 30 - 45 minutes, while other miscommunications made the down time last about 2 1/2 hours or so.

Our first Bible Study small groups met that night as well. (we were introduced to our small groups on Saturday, but Bible Study started on Monday night). Later, we had a "Discover Ft. Collins" time, which , as I predicted was a scavanger hunt that sent us all around the city and CSU campus looking for things. It was really fun and I have a few pictures from it since I was the "designated picture taker".

Tuesday ~
Second day of work. More policies/orientation stuff. I'm learning that 7:30am is a very terrible time to have to be at work...until my body acclimates itself to our work schedule. It requires waking up at least an hour prior in order to be ready, eat breakfast (for the 15 minutes between when it's open and when we need to leave), and transport yourself over to the school. Yuck. But...it's going to be alright. I will be exhausted and ready for rest at the end of the summer, but somehow I'll make it.

Wednesday (Today)~
Today we received our specific age assignments! I will be working with 3rd graders! There are only two counselors (teachers) in the room I'm in, me and one other. I guess if you want to be technical, my title is "lead teacher", but that's just for the sake of the state. I'm excited to work with the other counselor and develop things for the kids! Also, I am officially certified in Adult/Child/Infant CPR and First Aid as of this afternoon! So, if you're in trouble, I can keep your blood circulating and get oxygen into your body until medical professionals arrive!

Tomorrow we are getting trained in our curriculum, and it's supposedly really good! I'm super excited about it! However, I really should be asleep in the next two minutes in order to be driving away from CSU by 7:15am tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...